Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Tue August 28, 2012
Denham Springs imposes dusk-to-dawn curfew
The Denham Springs City Council has created a dusk-to-dawn curfew to run from Tuesday through Friday as Hurricane Isaac approaches the state.
In its original form, the proposed curfew only exempted medical, public works, city, utility and emergency personnel.
However, Councilman John Wascom asked about people going to work or to help friends.
The Advocate reports the council amended the proposal to add people with legitimate business to the exemption list.
Mayor Jimmy Durbin said if the city loses power and some homes and businesses are empty, the homes and businesses could be vulnerable to burglaries.
Durbin said enforcement of the curfew would be at the discretion of police.