Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
Louisiana Supreme Court
Mon July 23, 2012
Deadline moved in state chief justice debate
The Louisiana Supreme Court is giving its justices an extra month to weigh in on a debate over naming the court's next chief justice.
Chief Justice Catherine "Kitty" Kimball had set a July 31 deadline for the justices to file briefs on which colleague is the "oldest in point of service" under terms of the state constitution.
Kimball amended her order on Friday to move the deadline to Aug. 31.
Justice Bernette Johnson sued earlier this month to block her colleagues from debating whether she is entitled to succeed Kimball when she retires next year. Justice Jeffrey Victory also stakes a claim to being the court's longest-serving justice.