Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
Live Fridays From XPN
Tue May 15, 2012
Dar Williams In Concert
Originally published on Wed June 18, 2014 1:15 pm
It isn't folksinger Dar Williams' first time performing at one of WXPN's Live Friday concerts — she was on the stage with country star Allison Moorer last year — and it won't be her last. Williams began her foray into folk music while in Boston, making the coffee-shop rounds and recording her own demos. Her style of pop-inspired confessional folk soon caught the eye of Joan Baez, who subsequently recorded some of Williams' songs. Since then, Williams has released 18 highly acclaimed releases. She's shared the stage with the likes of Patty Griffin, Ani DiFranco, Mary Chapin Carter and Joan Baez, and she's been able to fine-tune her knack for conveying emotion on-stage.
Williams' new album, In the Time of Gods, represents a return to her more traditional folk leanings, with less pop and more sensitivity. Thematically centered on classical Greek mythology, the album explores accessible narratives based on mythological personalities. As always, though, it's all held together by Williams' rousing melodies and insightful lyrics.
- "The Light And The Sea"
- "I Am The One Who Will Remember Everything"
- "You Will Ride With Me Tonight"
- "Are You Out There"
- "I Have Been Around The World"