Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
Thu January 17, 2013
Crime Down 4 Percent in Kenner Last Year
Major crime in Kenner dipped by 4 percent in 2012. That's according to statistics released Monday by Kenner police officials.
The city saw decreases in six of the seven categories when compared with 2011.
Police Chief Steve Caraway tells The Times-Picayune the only crime category to record an increase was rape, up by two with a total of 12 sexual assaults reported last year.
But Kenner logged a 78 percent drop in homicides with only two murders reported. The city usually averages about seven homicides a year. Caraway says the department has seen as many as 17 killings in one year
Robberies were down 12 percent, burglaries were down 7 percent and thefts were down 3 percent.