Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Mon December 24, 2012
Crescent City Connection Police Transfer to LSP
The Crescent City Connection Police Department has been transferred to Louisiana State Police as part of a restructuring of the bridge police division.
The state Department of Transportation and Development says the police department's administrative transfer to the Department of Public Safety was effective Monday.
Officials say the New Orleans-based bridge police officers will continue wearing their current uniforms and using their current marked vehicles until midnight Dec. 31. At that time, the officers will get new DPS uniforms and vehicles.
Louisiana State Police Col. Mike Edmonson says the move is another step in the transition process that began months ago.
The Crescent City Connection Bridge is the fifth busiest bridge in the nation. More than 33 million vehicles traverse the structure annually.