Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
Wed July 18, 2012
Councilman Jon Johnson Resigns, Pleads Guilty to Corruption
A New Orleans city councilman is resigning his office after pleading guilty to corruption. Federal charges link Hurricane Katrina relief to the politician’s failed-campaign fund.
Councilman Jon Johnson admits diverting thousands of dollars from a Ninth Ward housing nonprofit to cover expenses from his failed 2007 campaign for state senate. Federal prosecutors say Johnson conspired to steal the money and filed false documents on loan applications.
Johnson has represented the Ninth Ward neighborhood since 2010. It was especially hard-hit by flooding after the 2005 hurricane and continues to struggle. Johnson faces up to five years in prison. He’s scheduled for sentencing in October.