Most Active Stories
- Live Stream And Chat: What Can #NOLASchools Teach Us?
- Watch A Time-Lapse Video Of The Calbuco Volcano Erupting In Chile
- Le Show For The Week Of April 26, 2015
- Southeast Louisiana Legal Services Helps Delgado Students Jump Legal Hurdles
- A million dead birds and five years later, scientists still struggling to assess BP spill's impact
The Listening Room
Thu August 2, 2012
Committed: Marriage In America
From the Backstory with the American History Guys series: When President Obama became the first American president to publicly support same-sex marriage, he acknowledged a trend in American culture: that marriage–the laws, as well as social conventions and expectations surrounding it–have long been subject to change.
In this hour of BackStory, we commit ourselves to unpacking the history of the institution and its shifting definitions in America. By taking a look at everything from the founder of couples counseling to the town that was Vegas before Vegas was Vegas, the History Guys ask who’s been allowed to marry whom, and consider what has been at stake when couples break the rules. More than that, why have some disagreements about marriage melted away as others have become more contentious? And how have the rules we make about marriage changed the shapes of our families and influenced our society?
Go here for more information on this series.
Airing Sunday, July 29th at 9:00 p.m., on WWNO, 89.9 FM.