Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Fishermen And Retailers Go High-Tech For Authentic Gulf Seafood
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
- Short-Term Rental Stakeholders All Agree On One Thing: Current Law Inadequate
The Listening Room
Thu August 2, 2012
Committed: Marriage In America
From the Backstory with the American History Guys series: When President Obama became the first American president to publicly support same-sex marriage, he acknowledged a trend in American culture: that marriage–the laws, as well as social conventions and expectations surrounding it–have long been subject to change.
In this hour of BackStory, we commit ourselves to unpacking the history of the institution and its shifting definitions in America. By taking a look at everything from the founder of couples counseling to the town that was Vegas before Vegas was Vegas, the History Guys ask who’s been allowed to marry whom, and consider what has been at stake when couples break the rules. More than that, why have some disagreements about marriage melted away as others have become more contentious? And how have the rules we make about marriage changed the shapes of our families and influenced our society?
Go here for more information on this series.
Airing Sunday, July 29th at 9:00 p.m., on WWNO, 89.9 FM.