Most Active Stories
- Sarah Vowell Riffs On Satchmo, 'The Incredibles' And Andrew Jackson
- Le Show For April 13, 2014
- Barataria Bay, 4 Years After The Deepwater Horizon Disaster
- The Listening Post Asks: Should Sex Education Be Required In Louisiana Public Schools?
- Richard Campanella Cityscapes: New Orleans' Tallest, Strangest, Forgotten Building
Tue August 28, 2012
Coast Guard suspends search for missing Fla. man
The Coast Guard temporarily suspended the search for a missing water scooter rider near the Alabama-Florida state line when rain and wind from Hurricane Isaac reduced visibility to almost zero.
Lt. j.g. Timothy Williams said three aircraft had been looking for the 47-year-old Air Force retiree from Pensacola, Fla., but the last aircraft landed about 3:30 p.m. Tuesday when the conditions became too bad. He said they had covered an area stretching from Fort Pickens on Pensacola Beach toward Mobile Bay.
The search began after the man's wife called the Coast Guard about 8:45 p.m. Monday to report that her husband had not returned from a water scooter ride as Isaac approached the Gulf coast.
Power Outage Map