Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Tue August 28, 2012
Coast Guard searches Gulf for missing man
The Coast Guard is searching the Gulf of Mexico near the Florida-Alabama state line for a man who failed to return home from a water-scooter trip as then-Tropical Storm Isaac was approaching the coast.
Chief Petty Officer Bobby Nash says the search began after the man's wife called the Pensacola station about 8:45 p.m. Monday. It resumed at dawn Tuesday.
He didn't have any details about the man.
He says a fixed-wing aircraft and a helicopter started the search, but the plane had to return — and winds were likely to get too rough for the helicopter.
Nash says that's why the Coast Guard emphasizes that boaters and people in other personal watercraft should get out of the way of storms.
Coast Guard Rescue