Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
Gulf Oil Spill
Tue October 19, 2010
Coast Guard Says Little Oil Remains In Gulf
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – Despite academic researchers reporting oil covering parts of the Gulf seafloor, Coast Guard Rear Admiral Paul Zukunft says government scientists aren't seeing all that much much deepwater oil.
"I'm cautiously optimistic that the Gulf of Mexico is proving to be rather resilient after a spill of this magnitude."
He says the government is finding oil in parts per billion in water samples. The University of Georgia has reported oil coating the seafloor near BP's well, but the government has not. Zukunft says oil cleanup continues in Louisiana wetlands and oil sediment is being cleared off beaches in Alabama and Florida.
For WWNO, I'm Eileen Fleming.