Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
Coast Guard Rescue
Mon August 13, 2012
Coast Guard rescues five from Southwest Pass
VENICE — The Coast Guard says it rescued five boaters from a 26-foot pleasure craft that was taking on water near the Southwest Pass jetties.
Petty Officer Jonathan Lally says that after emergency signals from a satellite GPS system early Sunday, the Coast Guard found the owner's cell phone number, called him, and sent out a helicopter and boat.
He says a helicopter crew remained until a Coast Guard boat arrived to take the boaters to Cypress Cove Marina in Venice.
Nobody was hurt. The Coast Guard says the pleasure boat is anchored next to the jetties and is not a hazard to navigation.
The Coast Guard says boaters should have an emergency position indicating radio beacon or VHF-FM marine-band radio for emergency calls.
Gulf Plane Crash