Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
WWNO News Reports
Sat March 7, 2009
Citizens Participation Project
New Orleans, LA – Neighborhood groups throughout New Orleans are getting ready to present a plan to the City Council that guarantees them a specific role in how government operates. Correspondent Eileen Fleming has more
The Citizen Participation Project has been around since 2004. By the time a couple of pilot programs were ready, Hurricane Katrina knocked them aside.
But the storm resulted in more neighborhood group forming, with people already trained in focusing on issues, like crime, housing and land use.
Khalil Shahyd (kah-leel sha-heed) is project director.