Most Active Stories
- Live Stream And Chat: What Can #NOLASchools Teach Us?
- Watch A Time-Lapse Video Of The Calbuco Volcano Erupting In Chile
- Le Show For The Week Of April 26, 2015
- Southeast Louisiana Legal Services Helps Delgado Students Jump Legal Hurdles
- A million dead birds and five years later, scientists still struggling to assess BP spill's impact
Thu December 20, 2012
Christmas Treats & Trips
Join us as we celebrate Christmas on Louisiana Eats! Tariq Hanna of Sucre discusses a recent trip to Switzerland that resulted in his own customized chocolate. Then, after we travel to Natchitoches for the Christmas Festival of Lights, historian Rien Fertel tells us forgotten stories about the praline.
PEAS IN A ROUX
1 BAG OF FROZEN PEAS
2 T. BUTTER
4 T. BACON GREASE
4 T. FLOUR
1 LARGE ONION, CHOPPED
1-1/2 T. SUGAR
1/2 TSP. CAYENNE PEPPER
SALT & BLACK PEPPER TO TASTE
Make a dark roux with butter, bacon grease, and flour. Add onions and saute 5 minutes. Sprinkle sugar on onion and cook another 2 minutes. Add peas, cayenne pepper, salt & pepper and enough water to make a gravy. Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer peas for 20 minutes or more.