Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Machete-Wielding Man Attacks TSA Agents At Louis Armstrong Airport, Is Shot By Police
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
Wed December 26, 2012
Christmas Storm Kills 1 in Richland Parish
Christmas storms killed at least one person in Louisiana, damaged buildings from central Louisiana into southwest Mississippi and cut power to at least 14,000 people and businesses in Louisiana and 5,000 in Mississippi.
Richland Parish Sheriff Lee Harrell tells The News-Star that 53-year-old Allen Sullivan died around 2 p.m. Tuesday when a tree fell on the house he was in, near the Richland-West Carroll parish line.
In Mississippi, Pearl River County's emergency management chief says a tornado destroyed 12 to 15 houses in McNeill, north of Picayune. Danny Manley says eight people were injured, but none of the injuries was life-threatening.
The Rapides Parish Sheriff's Office was checking reports of possible tornadoes at the north and south ends of the parish. Alexandria police say winds damaged about eight buildings.