Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
Wed December 26, 2012
Christmas Storm Kills 1 in Richland Parish
Christmas storms killed at least one person in Louisiana, damaged buildings from central Louisiana into southwest Mississippi and cut power to at least 14,000 people and businesses in Louisiana and 5,000 in Mississippi.
Richland Parish Sheriff Lee Harrell tells The News-Star that 53-year-old Allen Sullivan died around 2 p.m. Tuesday when a tree fell on the house he was in, near the Richland-West Carroll parish line.
In Mississippi, Pearl River County's emergency management chief says a tornado destroyed 12 to 15 houses in McNeill, north of Picayune. Danny Manley says eight people were injured, but none of the injuries was life-threatening.
The Rapides Parish Sheriff's Office was checking reports of possible tornadoes at the north and south ends of the parish. Alexandria police say winds damaged about eight buildings.