Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Union Parish School Budget Cuts
Tue July 17, 2012
Budget cuts planned for Union Parish schools
FARMERVILLE, La. — Union Parish Schools Superintendent George Cannon says the district is struggling financially for the current fiscal year after cuts planned for the past year apparently didn't happen.
Cannon said some of last year's planned $1.6 million in cuts were not carried out as planned.
The News-Star reports (http://tnsne.ws/Q4bosn) that Cannon and the system's senior staff are working on a plan to eliminate $1.5 million from the 2012-13 general fund budget. The cuts could include eliminating positions and consolidating bus routes.
The board will likely consider the budget in its July 26 meeting.