Most Active Stories
- Le Show For Oct. 26, 2014
- Philadelphia Gets Its Water Management Act Together, And New Orleans Takes Notes
- MONDAY: State Treasurer John Kennedy; and Advocacy Director for Louisiana AARP Andrew Muhl
- Which Came First: The Mockingbird Or The Musician?
- The Listening Post Asks: What's Your Favorite Art In New Orleans?
Wed May 28, 2014
Brown Shrimp Season Opens With High Prices, But Future Remains Uncertain
This week Louisiana opened its inshore waters for shrimping. Boats around the state are heading out hoping for a big catch of brown shrimp in the bayous.
It’s a late start to the season, due to the long, cold winter, meaning less time for shrimpers to make money. But some good news for shrimp boat captains: prices are high.
In some cases, prices are double what they were last year. After years of setbacks, shrimpers could use a break.