Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
Wed May 28, 2014
Brown Shrimp Season Opens With High Prices, But Future Remains Uncertain
This week Louisiana opened its inshore waters for shrimping. Boats around the state are heading out hoping for a big catch of brown shrimp in the bayous.
It’s a late start to the season, due to the long, cold winter, meaning less time for shrimpers to make money. But some good news for shrimp boat captains: prices are high.
In some cases, prices are double what they were last year. After years of setbacks, shrimpers could use a break.