Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
Gulf Oil Spill
Mon May 17, 2010
BP Says Top Kill Could Stop Leak Next Week
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – BP executive Doug Suttles says the gusher could be tapped by next week, if the operation called a "top kill" goes as planned.
"If that's successful we would be bringing this incident to a close"
That remark at a briefing later solicited this response from Coast Guard Rear Admiral Mary Landry.
" I think it caught all our eyes when Doug Suttles said if we get this top kill we're done. We are not done. We are so this is a this is an enormous response."
Suttles says BP plans to permanently shut off the well at its source with a relief well that's now being drilled. It could be finished in August. He says the damaged well will never be put into production because its uncontrolled flow cannot be repaired.
For NPR News, I'm Eileen Fleming in New Orleans.