Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
Gulf Oil Spill
Thu April 29, 2010
BP Reachng Out For Help
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – BP executive Doug Suttles says the company is open to all ideas on how to cap its underwater well 40 miles off the Louisiana coast. BP is asking the Department of Defense, industry competitors and volunteers to help save the delicate wetlands and their wildlife.
"We have invited in Exxon-Mobil, Chevron, Shell and Anadarko - their experts - their operating center in Houston, Texas, to see if they can help us identify additional techniques that we have yet to identify to stop the flow of oil." :15
The company is also asking the Defense Department for any underwater equipment that could help. Homeland Secretary Janet Napolitano (nah-pol-i-TAN'-oh) has declared the spill an incident of national significance.
For NPR News, I'm Eileen Fleming in New Orleans