Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
Gulf Oil Spill
Thu June 3, 2010
BP Manages to Cut Pipe on Riser
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – Coast Guard Admiral Thad Allen says underwater robots have managed to get through the first phase of the latest engineering system.
"For the first time in a couple of days I have some good news. We have just cut the pipe off the lower marine package."
But the cut isn't clean. The diamond saw got stuck and had to be yanked out of the wobbly pipe. Allen says sheers managed to finish that job. He says the jagged edge could mean more oil spews out of the sides of the funnel top. He's not sure how much more.
If the containment plan works, the oil will be forced up a mile-long pipeline to a vessel on the surface. It could be apparent by tomorrow if it works.
For NPR News, I'm Eileen Fleming in New Orleans.