Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
BP Oil Spill
Fri October 26, 2012
BP Containment Cap Plugged, But Congress Demands More
BP says it has plugged holes in a leaky containment cap that failed to stem oil gushing from its blown-out well in the Gulf of Mexico in 2010. The oil company may have to clear oil still inside the structure abandoned a few hundred feet from the sealed well.
The Coast Guard says openings in the discarded cofferdam have been closed off, but Massachusetts Democratic Congressman Ed Markey says he wants BP to do more. He wants all remaining oil removed from the cap and other equipment still on the sea floor. He also wants to see the underwater footage taken of the repair operation.
The Coast Guard is ordering BP to come up plans for removing the structure or finding ways to prevent oil from seeping out. The Coast Guard will be conducting satellite surveillance for the next several days to make sure the plugs are holding.