Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Tue January 8, 2013
Body Found in 7th Ward
New Orleans homicide detectives are investigating the shooting of a man who was discovered dead this afternoon in the rear yard of an abandoned house in the 7th Ward, the police department said in a press release.
"An anonymous caller phoned police stating a male has been down in a rear yard for a while," said NOPD spokesman Frank B. Robertson, III. "Officers arrived and found the victim; he’d been shot multiple times and died on the scene."
Officers found the corpse just before 2 p.m. this afternoon in the 1600-block of N. Rocheblave St., and are currently developing leads and investigating the motive behind the murder, Robertson said. Narcotics were recovered from the scene.
Police are withholding the name of the victim pending notification of his family.
Homicide Detective Michael McCleery is in charge of the investigation.