Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
Thu January 2, 2014
Blues Musician Ernest 'Rockin' Tabby' Thomas Dies In Baton Rouge
Noted blues musician Ernest “Rockin’ Tabby” Thomas has died in his native Baton Rouge. Thomas was a few days shy of his 85th birthday.
Thomas began his musical life singing at a Baptist church founded by his grandfather. He recorded with Excello Records in Nashville, and had hits including “Hoodoo Party” and “Long About Midnight.”
He settled in Baton Rouge, and for nearly a quarter-century operated a club called Tabby’s Blues Box and Heritage Hall. His son Chris continues the family’s musical traditions by blending blues with rap.
Funeral services are planned for next week.