Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
Gulf Oil Spill
Mon May 24, 2010
Bipartisan Panel To Visit Gulf Coast
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – Interior Secretary Ken Salazar and Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano are planning a flyover of the oil spill. They will be joined six senators, including Republicans Lisa Murkowki of Alaska, the ranking member of the Energy Committee, and David Vitter of Louisiana. Democrats include Assistant Majority Leader Dick Durbin of Illinois and Mary Landrieu of Louisiana. State and local officials will also be meeting the group. BP has taken a pounding from Salazar, who says he's now angry and frustrated that it hasn't stopped the spill and is missing deadlines. BP has planned to plug the leaking well over the weekend with heavy liquid, mud and cement. Now it could be Wednesday.
For NPR News, I'm Eileen Fleming in New Orleans.