Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Thu January 10, 2013
Belle Chasse Man Booked in Death of Girlfriend
Plaquemines Parish sheriff's deputies say a 54-year-old Belle Chasse man has been booked with second-degree murder after he confessed he fatally stabbed his girlfriend during an argument.
Cmdr. Eric Becnel tells The Times-Picayune that the argument erupted on an isolated road Tuesday afternoon where the couple went to have sex earlier during the day.
Becnel said after the stabbing, John Edward Rivers Sr. went to the 44-year-old woman's home, packed his belongings and went to a relative's home in Baton Rouge.
Becnel said Rivers contacted deputies Tuesday night and was told to turn himself in.
Authorities have not released the woman's name.
It was unclear whether Rivers has an attorney.