Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
- Fishermen And Retailers Go High-Tech For Authentic Gulf Seafood
Wed July 13, 2011
Bastille Day Celebration
SAVORY PAIN PERDU (Serves 4)
8 SLICES OF FRENCH BREAD,
SLICED 1 1/2 INCH THICK
1 1/2 CUPS OF MILK
1 TABLESPOON HOT SAUCE (OR TO TASTE)
8 OZ. HERBED SOFT CHEESE (GOAT, FARMER'S OR SEASONED CREAM CHEESE COMBINED WITH FRESH HERBS OF CHOICE)
4 TBS BUTTER
Cut a pocket, from the side, into the center of each piece of French bread. Divide the cheese into 1/8ths and insert one piece into each slice of bread.
Whisk together the milk, eggs and hot sauce. Briefly, soak each piece of stuffed bread in the milk mixture.
Melt the butter in a 10 inch skillet and when large bubbles foam, add the stuffed French bread pieces, browning lightly on each side.
Serve with chutney or a pickled vegetable relish.
We'd love to hear from you! Email us!