Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Tue February 21, 2012
Back On The Air, Stephen Colbert Gives Nod To Ailing Mom
Without directly saying so, Comedy Central's Stephen Colbert all-but-confirmed last night that he was off the air for two days last week because his 91-year-old mother Lorna has been ill.
After dismissing some of the funnier, "wild rumors" about why The Colbert Report had suddenly gone dark (no, he didn't get an eye job), Stephen turned to the camera to say that "evidently, having 11 children makes you tough as nails ... confidential to a lovely lady" (at which point he did one of those point-at-your-nose gestures).