Most Active Stories
- Battle Brewing In Holy Cross Over Proposed Highrises
- Sarah Vowell Riffs On Satchmo, 'The Incredibles' And Andrew Jackson
- Le Show For April 13, 2014
- The Listening Post Asks: Should Sex Education Be Required In Louisiana Public Schools?
- Richard Campanella Cityscapes: New Orleans' Tallest, Strangest, Forgotten Building
Tue August 28, 2012
Assumption Parish announces mandatory evacuation
Assumption Parish officials have announced a mandatory evacuation of the parish in advance of Hurricane Isaac's landfall.
The parish has reportedly banned the sale of alcohol, and has announced a curfew.
Assumption has also opened a shelter of last resort, at Belle Rose Middle School (7177 Highway 1). Officials say the school will be running off of generator power; however, all evacuees are required to bring all necessary items with them, including food, water, toiletries, bedding and medicines. No cots will be provided.
All Assumption Parish schools will be closed today and tomorrow. Officials say a decision about Thursday will be made at a later time.
Residents can find out more information at www.assumptionla.com