Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
WWNO News Reports
Wed March 9, 2011
Ash Wednesday Arrives After Stormy Fat Tuesday
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – Stormy skies hovered over much of Fat Tuesday. One carnival regular carried on, though. Pete Fountain donned a purple suit bedazzled with musical notes and symbols as he grabbed his clarinet for his 51st annual stroll to the French Quarter. The 81-year-old says there's a reason he continues the tradition.
""Fun, you know. And everybody has a good time. And, you, know, forget about yesterday."
The Half-Fast (that's F-A-S-T) Walking Club departed early from Commander's Palace. A few drops of rain fell as they headed toward St. Charles Avenue. But even with a wet start, Fountain was smiling.
"Any time we get together we have a good time. So every time is a good time."
Here's a bit of the send-off:
Fans who can't wait for next year's Mardi Gras can catch Fountain on May 1st at Jazz Fest.
For WWNO, I'm Eileen Fleming