Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Tue August 28, 2012
Army Corps of Engineers Updates
By WWNO Staff
In preparation for the storm’s landfall, the Corps has closed or is in the process of closing the following:
- Hero Canal 23 of 70+ closures along the Hero Canal are closed. Other major structures are still in the process of being closed
- Inner Harbor Navigation Canal Surge Barrier: Barge gate in place / closed; Vertical lift gate at Bayou Bienvenue closed; sector gate will close once conditions warrant
- Bayou Dupre: Sector gate closed
- Gates at 17th Street Canal started closing at 5:00 p.m.
- London Avenue Canal gates closed at 4:00 p.m.
- Seabrook Floodgate Complex was closed at 1:30 p.m.
- 10 a.m. The Inner Harbor Navigation Canal-Lake Borgne Surge Barrier closed
- The closure of Hwy 90 in St. Charles Parish at the Davis Pond Diversion has been completed.
- The closures of Hwy 23 in Plaquemines Parish and Hwy 90 in St. Charles Parish are continuing in partnership with LA DOTD, Louisiana State Police, Plaquemines Parish and St. Charles Parish Sheriff's Departments and the parish government.
- Closure teams are on site at all major closure structures (WCC, Seabrook, IHNC Surge Barrier) and will remain there throughout the event.
- Orleans Avenue outfall canal was closed at 2300 on 8/27
Mississippi River Saltwater Intrusion