Most Active Stories
- Live Stream And Chat: What Can #NOLASchools Teach Us?
- Watch A Time-Lapse Video Of The Calbuco Volcano Erupting In Chile
- Le Show For The Week Of April 26, 2015
- Southeast Louisiana Legal Services Helps Delgado Students Jump Legal Hurdles
- A million dead birds and five years later, scientists still struggling to assess BP spill's impact
Song Of The Day
Wed May 9, 2012
Ani DiFranco's Declaration Of Undying Love
Ani DiFranco has built her reputation as a take-no-bull folksinger who champions the downtrodden, rails against privileged excess and offers messages of empowerment and solidarity. A Woody Guthrie disciple, she's famous for circumventing the music-industry machine to find success on her own terms with her Righteous Babe label.
Yet DiFranco also has a soft, romantic side, which she captures with simple elegance in "Hearse." She opens the track with the sound of lightly tinkling bells, which quickly segue to a dirge-like beat as DiFranco strums her guitar and sings in her clear, commanding voice, "I don't wanna strive for nothin' anymore / I just wanna lie here with you."
Later, she promises, "I will always be your lover / even after our atoms are dispersed. ... And I will follow you into the next life / like a dog chasing after a hearse." Those words may not register as romantic when read off a computer screen. But when DiFranco sings them sweetly — without any sense of pain or longing, but merely as statements of fact — the depth of her love is fully evident and undeniable.