Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
Thu May 24, 2012
Anais Mitchell On Mountain Stage
Originally published on Thu January 31, 2013 9:11 am
Singer-songwriter Anais Mitchell returns to Mountain Stage, recorded live in Charleston, W.V. A native of Vermont, Mitchell spent her childhood traveling through the Middle East, Latin America, and Europe before returning to attend Middlebury College — experiences that imprint a rural worldliness on her deeply imaginative songwriting.
Mitchell's latest project is Young Man in America, an album partially inspired by her father and the novel he wrote when he was around her age. She takes on the voices of multiple characters, both male and female, and brings her own band to help flesh out the album's sound for the live audience. Mitchell's previous work includes Hadestown, a folk-opera retelling of the Orpheus myth set in post-apocalyptic small-town America, and featured guest appearances from Greg Brown, Ani DiFranco, and Bon Iver's Justin Vernon.
This Mountain Stage performance was originally published on May 24, 2012.