Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
Gulf Oil Spill
Fri August 6, 2010
Allen Says Relief Well On Target For Mid-August
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – The government point man for the oil spill says permanently killing the well from the bottom will be done in stages.
"We'll drill approximately 30 feet further down into the well and between the 8th of August and the 13th of August there will be three patterns where we will drill 30 feet."
Allen says pressure tests are being done on the cement poured into the broken well from the top in a procedure called a static kill. The bottom kill should begin at the middle of this month.
For NPR News, I'm Eileen Fleming in New Orleans.