Most Active Stories
- Sarah Vowell Riffs On Satchmo, 'The Incredibles' And Andrew Jackson
- Le Show For April 13, 2014
- Barataria Bay, 4 Years After The Deepwater Horizon Disaster
- The Listening Post Asks: Should Sex Education Be Required In Louisiana Public Schools?
- Richard Campanella Cityscapes: New Orleans' Tallest, Strangest, Forgotten Building
Gulf Oil Spill
Thu August 5, 2010
Allen Orders BP To Cement Broken Well From Top And Bottom
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – Retired Coast Guard Admiral Thad Allen has maintained that the permanent solution for killing the broken well is to pump mud and cement into the bottom through a relief well.
Allen eliminated any doubt as to what he wants BP to do next. Issuing a two-sentence statement, Allen instructed BP to pump cement into the top and bottom of the well and to do it without delay.
The relief well is expected to be complete within the next couple of weeks and then the cement can be pumped in to permanently kill the well.
For NPR News, I'm Eileen Fleming in New Orleans.