Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
Gulf Oil Spill
Thu August 5, 2010
Allen Orders BP To Cement Broken Well From Top And Bottom
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – Retired Coast Guard Admiral Thad Allen has maintained that the permanent solution for killing the broken well is to pump mud and cement into the bottom through a relief well.
Allen eliminated any doubt as to what he wants BP to do next. Issuing a two-sentence statement, Allen instructed BP to pump cement into the top and bottom of the well and to do it without delay.
The relief well is expected to be complete within the next couple of weeks and then the cement can be pumped in to permanently kill the well.
For NPR News, I'm Eileen Fleming in New Orleans.