Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
Thu May 15, 2014
All Things New Orleans: Public Safety And The 2013 Mother's Day Shooting
A year ago this week, the City of New Orleans was reeling — at a second line, on Mother’s Day, shots were fired into the crowd, striking 19 people. Another was trampled in the chaos.
Today on All Things New Orleans, we explore some issues brought about by the Mother’s Day shooting. We hear from one person shot at the second line, and his thoughts on any type of justice that might come from such an event.
New Orleans District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro explains a new approach to prosecuting violent crime.
Our WWNO Listening Post producer Jesse Hardman offers perspectives from the parade’s host, the Original Big Seven Social Aid and Pleasure Club, as well as thoughts on violence collected throughout the city.
And a mother who lost her son to violence describes why she still second-lines.
Listening Post NOLA