Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
Gulf Oil Spill
Tue June 1, 2010
AG Holder Announces Criminal Investigation into Oil Spill Disaster
By Eileen Fleming
New Orleans, La. – Holder says he has the authority to investigate the Deepwater Horizon disaster under federal clean air and pollution laws. He is not saying who or what company may be targeted. Holder made the announcement in New Orleans, after meeting with state attorneys general from Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. He says the investigation will start with the April 20th rig explosion that killed 11 workers, and continue through the oil spill response. Holder had flown over the spill area earlier in the day and seen oil stretching for miles in Louisiana wetlands. He says the disaster is "nothing less than a tragedy,' and he pledged a comprehensive and aggressive investigation.
For NPR News, I'm Eileen Fleming in New Orleans.