Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
Thu September 6, 2012
The Advocate gears up for New Orleans edition
The publisher of Baton Rouge's daily newspaper says it is gearing up for a move into the New Orleans market.
Beginning Oct. 1, The Advocate plans to begin delivery of a new New Orleans edition of the paper. The move comes shortly after a decision by The Times-Picayune, which is owned by Advance Publications Inc., to convert the 175-year-old New Orleans daily to a 24-hour digital news operation with a print edition only on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays.
The Advocate's publisher, David Manship, said in a letter released Wednesday that The Times-Picayune's changes "revealed that there is a demand for a daily newspaper in New Orleans that will not be met by any New Orleans publications."
A spokesman for The Times-Picayune was not immediately available for comment Wednesday.