Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
Fri May 18, 2012
7 Schools Closing in Jefferson Parish
GRETNA, La. (AP) — School administrators in Jefferson Parish say more than 2,500 students will be directly affected by the decision this week to close seven public school campuses.
Those students will shift among 27 campuses, The Times-Picayune reports.
The decision means next week, with the conclusion of the 2011-12 school year, the seven Jefferson schools will adjourn for the last time.
The closing schools include four traditional elementary schools: Kate Middleton Elementary in Gretna, Homedale Elementary in Harvey, Rillieux Elementary in Waggaman, and Maggiore Elementary in Metairie.
The three others are Bunche Academy in Metairie, St. Ville Academy in Harvey and Waggaman School. Those three are alternative programs for students struggling academically. The programs will shift onto high school campuses or join other alternative sites.