Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
Mon March 5, 2012
4.0 Magnitude Quake Rattles San Francisco
For those who just felt the earth shake in Northern California, the U.S. Geological Survey says there was a 4.0 magnitude temblor in the "San Francisco bay area" at 5:33 a.m. local time (8:33 a.m. ET).
There's no word yet on whether there was much, if any, damage.
The USGS says the quake was centered about 1 mile from El Cerrito, Calif.
Earlier today, a 6.1 magnitude quake was felt in Argentina. It was not in an heavily populated area.
Update at 10:25 a.m. ET. Just "Another Earthquake." The San Francisco Chronicle writes that:
"The quake gave the employees at a Starbucks cafe on San Pablo Avenue in El Cerrito a pretty good jolt.
" 'Everything was moving, for a minute maybe,' said an employee who said she believed the quake was 'harder than the others,' referring to a previous swarm of quakes centered in Berkeley last year. A colleague said, 'It was a big shake in the store. Nothing fell.' He appeared to be taking things in stride, saying, 'It was another earthquake. We have earthquakes in California.' "