Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
- Episode 609: The Curse Of The Black Lotus
West Nile Virus
Fri July 6, 2012
3 new Louisiana West Nile cases, 1 serious
Louisiana's health department says three new cases of West Nile virus infection have been confirmed in the state — including a potentially fatal case in Vernon Parish.
Two of the people who tested positive for the infection showed no symptoms. They were in Tangipahoa Parish.
But the Vernon Parish case involves what officials call "neuro-invasive" disease — the first such case in the state this year.
A neuroinvasive illness is severe and typically results in a swelling of the brain or spinal cord. It can cause brain damage or death.
The Department of Health and Hospitals said the three new cases reported Friday bring the total number of people known to have been infected this year to four. The Vernon Parish patient is the only one who became ill.