Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Fishermen And Retailers Go High-Tech For Authentic Gulf Seafood
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
- Short-Term Rental Stakeholders All Agree On One Thing: Current Law Inadequate
Thu July 12, 2012
2012 Essence Fest draws 413,000 to New Orleans
The 2012 Essence Music Festival drew 413,000 people to New Orleans for the four-day event held over the Fourth of July weekend.
That's less than the 422,000 who gathered for the 2011 festival. Last year the festival ran for three days.
This was the 18th anniversary of the festival which features nightly concerts at the Superdome and free, daily "empowerment" seminars and community events at the city's convention center.
A fourth day was added this year to focus on youth and the next generation of stars, including Diggy Simmons, the OMG Girlz and Roshon Fegan. The headliners included Aretha Franklin, Charlie Wilson, Mary J. Blige, Chaka Khan, Trey Songz, Chaka Khan, Fantasia, comedian Kevin Hart and D'Angelo.