Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Wed October 3, 2012
$1 million bond set for murder suspect
Bail has been set at $1 million for a 21-year-old man suspected of firing a gun through the bedroom window of an eastern New Orleans home early Monday, killing a local college freshman and badly wounding her boyfriend.
The Times-Picayune reports 21-year-old Jeffery Washington is accused of the second-degree murder of 18-year-old Marguerite Washington, and the attempted second-degree murder of 19-year-old Justin Alexander.
Police say the shooting occurred while the victims were asleep.
A Criminal District Court magistrate on Tuesday set bail for Washington in the amount of $750,000 in the murder count and $250,000 in the attempted murder count.
It was unclear whether Washington has an attorney.
Orleans Parish Prison