2013 Jazz & Heritage Festival

Jazz Fest is a seven-day cultural feast in which thousands of musicians, cooks and craftspeople welcome 400,000 visitors each year. The Festival celebrates the indigenous music and culture of New Orleans and Louisiana, and showcases unforgettable music on multiple stages, delicious Louisiana cuisine in two large food areas, and crafts artisans from the region and around the world demonstrating and selling their work.

Festival Schedule

First Weekend

Friday, April 26
Saturday, April 27
Sunday, April 28

Second Weekend

Thursday, May 2
Friday, May 3
Saturday, May 4
Sunday, May 5

Or download a .pdf of the complete Jazzfest schedule here.

More Resources

Before you head out to the festival, make sure you're prepared. We've collected some handy resources for you to get the most out of your trip to the Fairgrounds.

Festival Website
Check out the Jazzfest website for an in-depth look at the fest, including schedules, vendors, photos, answers to frequently asked questions, and tips on parking, public transportation, and a whole lot more.

Jazz Fest Radio
Listen to songs from Jazz Fest performers as you prep for the Fest.

Festival Map
Looking for a particular stage? Can't find the bathrooms? Take a look at the Festival Map. You can download a high-resolution version of the map by clicking here.

Jazz Fest App
Download the Jazz Fest mobile app for iPhone and Android and get your info on the go. Includes customizable schedules, artist bios, food info and more.

Pages

Jazz Fest 2013
9:37 am
Thu May 2, 2013

Jazz Fest Music Schedule — Thursday, May 2

The complete, updated music schedule for the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival, for Thursday, May 2, 2013.

Click on the image to enlarge.

Jazz Fest Minutes
7:06 am
Thu May 2, 2013

Jazz Fest Minutes: Lessons Learned With Trombonist Delfeayo Marsalis

Trombonist Delfeayo Marsalis.

Trombonist Delfeayo Marsalis got a good lesson and lasting influence out of a teenage attempt to hornswoggle a new trombone from older brother Wynton. The lesson and the influence came in the form of a recording by trombone great J.J. Johnson.

Read more
Inside the Arts
1:30 pm
Tue April 30, 2013

Inside the Arts: One 'Mo Time; Allison Miner Stage; May Day NOLA Way

This week host Diane Mack goes Inside the Arts to talk with playwright and musician Vernel Bagneris about the 35th Anniversary of the One Mo' Time performance at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival presented by Shell.

Read more
Arts & Culture
9:55 am
Tue April 30, 2013

Allison Miner's Spirit Lives On In The Jazz & Heritage Festival Stage Named For Her

Allison Miner.
Jazz and Heritage Archive

When the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival first began in 1969, it was radical. Here in the South, still reeling from the Civil Rights movement and race integration, the festivals’ founders — Quint Davis, George Wein, and Allison Miner — created a safe space for New Orleanians to come together, to hear each others’ music and to party — together. Eve Abrams brings us this profile of Allison Miner, a titan in New Orleans music, and the only person with a Jazz Fest stage named for her.

Read more
Jazz Fest Minutes
1:44 pm
Mon April 29, 2013

Jazz Fest Minutes: Saxophonist And Astral Project Founder Tony Dagradi

Saxophonist Tony Dagradi.
Credit tonydagradi.com

Saxophonist and Astral Project founder Tony Dagradi grew up in Summit, New Jersey. By high school he knew what he wanted to do: play jazz.

“It was almost as if I didn’t have a choice,” he says. “I didn’t think about, well, how much money am I going to make or how do I get a gig. I was just — all I wanted to do was play.”

After a couple of years at the Berklee School of Music in Boston, Dagradi entered an intense period of jazz rehearsal and listening.

Read more
Out To Lunch
1:00 pm
Mon April 29, 2013

New Orleans, The Birthplace Of Smoothie Jazz

Scott Aiges, of the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Foundation.
Scott Aiges

Jazz Fest — our annual overdose of music and food — is synonymous with New Orleans. Smoothie King — a healthy juice and food alternative — is the antithesis of the city. Both businesses were NOLA-born in the 1970's and are now international brands.

On this edition of Out to Lunch Peter Ricchiuti dines with Smoothie King's Tom O'Keefe and the Jazz & Heritage Foundation's Scott Aiges.

Jazz Fest 2013
5:23 am
Mon April 29, 2013

The Hosts Of The Party: Bayou St. John Responds To The Jazz Fest Takeover

A one way sign is put up for Jazz Fest a week in advance, but until the day of, these signs are covered and ignored by residents of Bayou St. John (seen here at the corner of Mystery St and Esplanade Ave).
Credit Nina Feldman / NolaVie

The people of Bayou St. John tell of merriment and traffic as the festival descends on their neighborhood. 

Nina Feldman learns from residents and business owners in Bayou St. John how the Jazz Fest (and the traffic that comes with it) temporarily transforms their neighborhood.

In shady Bayou St. John, the neighbors really know each other.  The same crew assembles each morning at the local coffee house to read the paper and debate its assertions; another crowd convenes at the various watering holes each evening.

“It’s one of the great things about this neighborhood,” says Fortin St. resident Jonas Bishop. “The fact that I know everyone on my block… It’s definitely a community-centric area that you don’t find a lot of places.”

Delanie Manuel, server at Liuzza’s by the Track and Jonas’ neighbor, agrees. “I thought I’d be a Quarter Rat forever,” she admits. “But no, I love it here.”

Read more
Jazz Fest 2013
8:30 am
Sun April 28, 2013

Sunday, April 28 Jazz Fest Schedule

Here's your full Jazz Fest schedule for Sunday, April 28, 2013. Click on the image to enlarge.

Jazz Fest 2013
4:37 pm
Sat April 27, 2013

Jazz Fest Saturday In Full Swing

Wanda Rouzan being interviewed by Sally Young on the Allison Miner Music Heritage Stage.
Eve Abrams WWNO

The second day of Jazz Fest is in full gear. And full sun.

The folding chairs are stacked deep at the Acura stage. Dozens of ticket holders ran to snag their spot this morning. The big deal? Bill Joel.

The Piano Man is closing the biggest stage at Jazz Fest after New Orleans ivories legend Allen Toussaint.

Read more
Jazz Fest 2013
1:14 pm
Sat April 27, 2013

Saturday, April 27 Jazz Fest Schedule

Here's your full Jazz Fest schedule for Saturday, April 27, 2013. Click on the image to enlarge.

Pages