2012 Jazz & Heritage Festival

The New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival,
presented by Shell

April 27 — May 6, 2012

Jazz Fest is a 10-day cultural feast in which thousands of musicians, cooks and craftspeople welcome 400,000 visitors each year. The Festival celebrates the indigenous music and culture of New Orleans and Louisiana, and showcases unforgettable music on multiple stages, delicious Louisiana cuisine in two large food areas, and crafts artisans from the region and around the world demonstrating and selling their work.

Festival Schedule

First Weekend                                       Second Weekend

Friday, April 27                                     Thursday, May 3
Saturday, April 28                                 Friday, May 4
Sunday, April 29                                    Saturday, May 5

Sunday, May 6

Or download a .pdf of the complete Jazzfest schedule here.

More Resources

Before you head out to the festival, make sure you're prepared. We've collected some handy resources for you to get the most out of your trip to the Fairgrounds.

Jazzfest Phone Apps
Technically-savvy? Take your schedule and map on the go with the 2012 New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival app, available for Android and iPhone.

Festival Website
Check out the Jazzfest website for an in-depth look at the fest, including schedules, vendors, photos, answers to frequently asked questions, and tips on parking, public transportation, and a whole lot more.

Pages

Jazz Fest 2013
3:51 pm
Fri April 26, 2013

Jazz Fest Food: New Tastes For 2013

Our own Poppy Tooker at the Jazz Fest with a pork chop sandwich from Ms. Linda’s Catering.
Hallie Sheck WWNO

On average, Jazz Fest adds $300 million to the local economy and is expected to draw nearly half a million attendees this year.

And all of those people need to be fed.

With over 70 food and beverage vendors, Jazz Fest does not disappoint. We spoke with Poppy Tooker, the host of WWNO's Lousiana Eats!, as she went through her annual ritual surveying the food booths at Jazz Fest. We got to preview some of the new dishes hitting the festival food scene.

Poppy's top picks to try?

Read more
Where Y'Eat
4:35 pm
Thu April 25, 2013

Feeding the Fest in Overtime

Some of the food vendors at Jazz Fest also run standalone restaurants throughout the year, including Lil' Dizzy's, the eatery behind trout Baquet.
Ian McNulty

New Orleans, La. –
The procedure for ordering at Jazz Fest food booths is pretty straightforward: you name your dish and fork over cash. At some booths, however, it's common for festival-goers to try to make dinner reservations too.

Read more
Jazz Fest Minutes
8:30 am
Thu April 11, 2013

Jazz Fest Minutes: Words and Music with Donald Harrison, Jr.

Donald Harrison, Jr. — saxophonist and Mardi Gras Indian chief.

Saxophonist, composer and Mardi Gras Indian Chief Donald Harrison, Jr. started learning about Mardi Gras Indian culture firsthand and early.

“The first time I put on a suit was at two years old for the Creole Wild West," Harrison said. I was a little chief of the Creole Wild West. I had on a dark blue and white suit my father made for me. I remember them running and going fast up and down in feathers, flying and singing.”

Read more
Jazz Fest Minutes
8:00 am
Tue April 9, 2013

Jazz Fest Minutes: C.J. Chenier Keeps It Red Hot

C.J. Chenier at the 2011 Rawa Blues Festival in Poland.
Credit Małgorzata Miłaszewska-Duda

C.J. Chenier is the son of Zydeco legend Clifton Chenier.

"I didn't know to what magnitude my dad's popularity was, but I knew he played music and because he played music I wanted to play music," Chenier said.

C.J. took a few piano lessons, messed around with guitar a little bit, and by the fourth grade was ready to try a horn.

Read more
Jazz Fest Minutes
8:00 am
Mon April 8, 2013

Jazz Fest Minutes: A Conversation With Dianne Reeves

Dianne Reeves and her quartet will play Jazz Fest Sunday afternoon, April 28, 2013.
Credit Dianne Reeves

Dianne Reeves is one of the finest jazz singers on the planet. Born in Detroit, she grew up in Denver in a family full of musicians.

"There's a lot of musicians in my family," Reeves said. "My uncle is a bassist and he was with the symphony for many years, as well as a jazz bassist. A couple of great aunts were performers, and then I have another cousin who actually produced a lot of my records, George Duke. So music was very much part of the family."

Read more
Latest News
7:00 am
Tue March 26, 2013

Fair Grounds Getting Ready For Infield Derby Festival and Jazz Fest

The Fair Grounds infield will host the Infield Derby Festival ahead of Jazz Fest.
Fair Grounds

Fair Grounds President Tim Bryant discusses Derby festival plans.

The infield of the Fair Grounds is getting ready for a festival, but it’s not the one you may imagine.

Read more
WWNO
11:45 pm
Tue February 5, 2013

2013 Jazz Fest Tickets Contest Rules

Contest Rules

Read more
Jazz Fest
10:07 am
Mon May 7, 2012

Tradition and Sunshine Close Out Jazz Fest

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — The Neville Brothers carried on the tradition of closing out the big stage at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival. The Funky Meters, regulars at the fest since 1989, were back, and festival creator George Wein were scheduled to play with an all-star cast at the Preservation Hall and Friends 50th Anniversary Celebration.

That was Sunday's big nod to tradition.

The closing day lineup also included Bonnie Raitt, the Foo Fighters and the Rebirth Brass Band as part of the more than 60 groups performing on 11 stages.

Jazz Fest Webcast
3:43 pm
Fri May 4, 2012

Jazz Fest Webcast to Stream May 4, 5 and 6

My Morning Jacket, Bon Iver, Jimmy Buffett Acoustic, Zac Brown Band, Trombone Shorty, Bonnie Raitt, Janelle Monae, Rodrigo y Gabriela, GIVERS, Bruce Hornsby, Galactic, Preservation Hall and Friends, and many others will all be featured during the Jazz Fest webcast, which began today at 2:00 p.m.

Jazz Fest Minutes
1:03 pm
Fri May 4, 2012

New Orleans Pianist Jesse McBride Leads Living Tribute to Harold Battiste at Jazz Fest Sunday, May 6

Top-notch New Orleans pianist Jesse McBride is a long-time friend and protege of outstanding composer, arranger, producer, educator and saxophonist Harold Battiste – and leads an all-star big band living tribute to Battiste, with special guests Germaine Bazzle and Ellis Marsalis, at Jazz Fest Sunday, May 6.

Read more

Pages