shootings

Governor Bobby Jindal is authorizing the state National Guard to protect the funerals for two women killed at a movie theater shooting. Law enforcement says the Westboro Baptist Church has indicated it plans to stage protests.

The suspect in the Lafayette movie theater shooting had a criminal record dating back decades. John Russell Houser was denied a concealed weapons permit.

The actions of two teachers who were in a Louisiana movie theater when a gunman opened fire Thursday night are being praised, as officials say the women's bravery and quick thinking saved the lives of unsuspecting patrons.

Two people were killed in the attack in Lafayette, La.; nine more were injured. After being cornered by police, the gunman, identified as John Russel Houser, 59, reportedly killed himself.

Police in Lafayette have identified the man they say opened fire at a movie theater, killing two others and wounding nine before turning the gun on himself. Little is known about the suspect and his motive.

Police say the man who opened fire at a movie theater in Lafayette, La., on Thursday was a 59-year-old "drifter."

During a press conference this morning, Lafayette Police Chief Jim Craft said that John Russel Houser was from Alabama, had moved around quite a bit, but had been living in Lafayette since early July. At the time of the shooting, Houser was living in a local motel. Craft said Houser was at a showing of the comedy Trainwreck when he stood up and unloaded at least 13 rounds into the audience, killing 21-year-old Mayci Breaux and 33-year-old Jillian Johnson.

Farah Stockman / Boston Globe

This story is on a developing situation, and has been and will be updated.

A 63-year-old man attacked TSA agents at Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport with a machete and wasp spray on Friday night.

The man, identified by the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office as Richard White, of Kenner, was transported to a local hospital and underwent surgery, but died Saturday afternoon around 4 p.m. in a New Orleans hospital.

Sloane Kelley / Flickr

New Orleans police say a third person believed to be linked to the weekend shooting of a police officer at a sandwich shop has been taken into custody.

Police said 26-year-old James Wilson surrendered to Plaquemines Parish authorities on Monday and was transferred to New Orleans custody for questioning.

Two others who police say were suspects in the shooting were found in Gretna hours after the Sunday incident. One of them was dead. The other was suffering from a gunshot wound. He was booked with attempted first-degree murder.

New Orleans police have arrested a man suspected of being involved in the shooting of an officer early Sunday morning.

Police say 34-year-old Cornelius Barthelemy was found shot once in the torso in a Ford Expedition in Gretna about 8 a.m. yesterday, along with an unidentified dead man.

They say that while Barthelemy was being treated at a hospital, he told police he was involved in the shooting.

He says he was one of three men shown in surveillance video of the shooting of 44-year-old Officer Jonathan Smith around 1:40 a.m. Sunday at a New Orleans restaurant.

A third man and a woman have been arrested in connection with a drive-by shooting in the Lower 9th Ward that killed two people and injured five.

Two boys and their mother were among the wounded.

New Orleans police say 23-year-old Joseph Nelson III is accused of being one of two gunmen who fired into a group on Aug. 10. Police say 25-year-old Ashley Shorts allegedly helped one of those two avoid detection.

Nelson was booked yesterday with two counts of first-degree murder and five of attempted first-degree murder.

Jesse Hardman / WWNO

New Orleans officials are asking the public for help in finding the gunman who killed two people and injured five others in a weekend drive-by shooting. Police have made some progress in the investigation.

Pages