Most Active Stories
- Live Stream And Chat: What Can #NOLASchools Teach Us?
- Le Show For The Week Of April 26, 2015
- Watch A Time-Lapse Video Of The Calbuco Volcano Erupting In Chile
- Southeast Louisiana Legal Services Helps Delgado Students Jump Legal Hurdles
- A million dead birds and five years later, scientists still struggling to assess BP spill's impact
Around the Nation
Mon May 13, 2013
Well, That's One Way To Stop Smoking
Originally published on Mon May 13, 2013 7:41 am
STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:
Good morning, I'm Steve Inskeep.
Etta Mae Lopez needed help. She wanted to quit smoking. She decided she needed to go someplace where she could not go buy cigarettes. And the place that came to mind was jail. Ms. Lopez says this is the reason she went to a jail, walked up to a Sacramento sheriff's deputy and slapped him in the face. The deputy took her inside the jail, where she slapped him again. After pleading no contest to a misdemeanor, she faces 63 smoke-free days.
It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.