Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Machete-Wielding Man Attacks TSA Agents At Louis Armstrong Airport, Is Shot By Police
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
Fri November 23, 2012
Senator Landrieu Urges Support For Small Business Holiday Shopping
With much of the nation focusing on Black Friday shopping at big box stores, one Louisiana lawmaker is suggesting another option.
Louisiana Senator Mary Landrieu says she’s encouraging people to participate in Small Business Saturday.
“About 50 percent of their profits are made between Thanksgiving, and Christmas and in some businesses it’s even more," Landrieu said of small businesses.
Landrieu is chair of the Small Business Committee, and says their survival is vital to the national economy.
“If every small business in America could have the revenues to hire one additional person the recession would be completely over and we’d be on the plus side. So it’s just something to remember," she said. "There’s nothing small about small business. They’re important.”
She says she’ll be marking Small Business Saturday tomorrow by shopping on Magazine Street.