Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
Wed February 13, 2013
Planet Money: Why Buying A Car Is So Awful
Originally published on Tue February 12, 2013 8:48 pm
In survey after survey, people rank buying a car as one of their least favorite experiences.
Why hasn't anyone figured out a better way to sell cars? Why can't you just go to a car store and shop for cars from a bunch of different manufacturers? Why don't cars have real price tags — with real prices, that people actually pay?
Today on the show: Why car buying is so unpleasant, and what your local legislators may be doing to keep it that way.
For more, see this paper (PDF)by Fiona Scott Morton, an economist we talk to on today's show.