Most Active Stories
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — The Shape We're In Now
- The Louisiana Coast: Last Call — How We Got This Way: The Mississippi River
- Bring Your Own Presents: 'Virginia'
- Dirty Diapers Pile Up In Portland Recycling Bins: 'It's Not Pretty'
- As With Dalai Lama Today, Pope's Visit To New Orleans 25 Years Ago Came Amid Violence
Sat March 2, 2013
Planet Money: An Economic Makeover For The Catholic Church
Originally published on Fri March 1, 2013 9:08 pm
The Catholic Church is not a corporation. It's a religion, a cultural force, and a global power. Still, one of the things the new Pope will have to deal with is a classic business mess — a multi-billion dollar conglomerate that has stumbled and is losing money and relevance.
On today's show, experts (including a priest with a Harvard MBA) tell us what the church needs to do to turn things around.