Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
Thu May 16, 2013
Officials Say Mother's Day Shooting Is Gang Related
New Orleans police have arrested two brothers in the Mother’s Day shooting that injured 20 people at a Seventh Ward second-line. Officials say the shooting is gang-related.
Nineteen-year-old Akein Scott was arrested Wednesday night at a house in New Orleans East. His bail is set at $10 million dollars and he’s facing 20 counts of attempted murder.
His 24-year-old brother, Shawn, was picked up today on the same charges.
Police identified the younger brother from a surveillance video, appearing to shoot directly at panicked bystanders.
New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu credits the community for helping find the suspects.
“The reason that we are succeeding today is because there are a lot of people that helped make this happen, primarily the people of New Orleans — who finally said, ‘We’re not putting up with this anymore’ — came together as a community to give us the kind of information we need,” Landrieu said.
Four others are also in custody, accused of harboring the younger brother.
Police say the Scott brothers were targeting a rival gang member from the Ninth Ward, who is among the injured.