Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Women Stage Protest At Hobby Lobby In Elmwood
- 'Pink Slime' Is Making A Comeback. Do You Have A Beef With That?
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
Wed January 30, 2013
Man Shot Dead in Algiers
A 34-year-old man was shot to death in Algiers earlier this afternoon, the New Orleans Police Department said in a press release issued by Officer Gary Flot this evening.
Police say the man was shot at the corner of Belleville and Opelousas Streets while driving a black Toyota Avalon at approximately 3:50 p.m. After being shot, he drove to the corner of Belleville and Slidell Streets and collapsed.
The man, whose name is being withheld by police pending the notification of his family, died on the scene. Martin Behrman Elementary School, which is right behind where the car was found and which was holding an after-school program at the time, was placed on lockdown after the incident.
The murder was the result of an ongoing turf war between residents of the neighborhood and former residents of the now-shuttered Fischer housing project, according to a report by The Times-Picayune.
Police are searching for a silver or gray four-door Pontiac Grand Prix that fled the scene. Matthew Morrison is the lead homicide detective on the case.
This article has been updated to reflect the correct car model, as per information released by the NOPD.